Sunday, August 10, 2008

Performance Mannerisms of Pop Stars

The performance mannerisms of most Western pop stars are relatively unique to the particular individual when compared to their Chinese counterparts. I think it's safe to say the performance mannerisms of George Michael, Norah Jones, Coldplay's Chris Martin, Christina Aguilera, and Maroon 5's Adam Levine are different.

You cannot say the same for Chinese pop stars. Don't believe me? Check out this music video of the 2008 Olympic song, "Beijing Welcomes You". It's performed by many of the pop stars from China, Taiwan, and Singapore so you should have a pretty good idea of what I'm talking about. Am I just imagining things or is there something to this?:



Tell me - Have you seen so many open arms and fist pumps in your life? I guess what White folks say about us Chinese people (we all look the same) is more true that we think. Not only do we look the same, we all have the same mannerisms. I guess I better ask my colleagues to track how many fist pumps and open arms I do when I present during meetings. Actually check that, I'll videotape myself karoake'ing, that should be more telling.

No comments: